Saturday, June 1, 2013

1 Timothy 1:13-14

Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.  The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Now if you don't know who is writing this segment, it’s a man named Paul, who is a great man of God.  He established many churches, brought countless people to Christ, and wrote a large portion of the New Testament.  But he wasn't always like that.  As a young man, his name was Saul, not Paul, and his goal in life was to find and kill any proclaiming to be Christians.  It was only after a direct confrontation with God that he saw his error and repented, becoming Paul.  You can find the full story in Acts, starting in chapter 7. 
Now Saul wasn't beating around the bush at all.  He was out there imprisoning and killing Christians left and right as fast and efficiently as he could.  And all the while he was blaspheming God.  Yet, even after all of that, God took that man, turned him around, and made him into one of the great men of the Bible.  This is a murderer we're talking about here.  A man who blatantly disrespecting God.  But even with all of that, God still forgave him and washed him clean. 
I know that sometimes when we look at our sins and the evil we've done, it doesn't seem possible that God could ever forgive us.  But to God it doesn't matter.  He loves you, now and forever.  No matter what you do, He will always love you.  If you love Him back and want to live for Him, He’s not going to reject you.  There is no possible way that God is going to say “No, you have too much sin on you, I can't forgive you”.  Not single way in the universe that He would ever say that.  If you ask, He will wash you clean of your sins and give you a fresh start.  Now and forever.  Over and over.  Because no one is perfect and sin doesn't just leave.  Even after you accept Jesus, you will be tempted and you will fall.  The trick is learning to pick yourself back up, and to learn on the Lord, for He will always be there to brush you off and strengthen you when you need it most. 
Something I am eternally grateful for, because I am by no means a perfect Christian.  Pretty much everything I post here are things I struggle with personally all the time.  It took me a long time to truly accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior because I believed that my sins were too much for Him to forgive.  Even now those thoughts come to me when I sin.  How can God keep forgiving me as I sin over and over?  At times it seems like I let Him down too much to bear.  Yet bear it He does, for His love is never ending, and as long as I remember that, I am safe in Him.


Dear Lord, I thank You for Your everlasting grace.  Without it I would be lost.  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Oh.... thank you so much for this post. Seriously. The question, "How can God keep forgiving me when I keep sinning over and over" is one I've been struggling with, especially lately.

    Thank you so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is my pleasure. Thank YOU for showing me that God is always at work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh yes. this is definitely something I've struggled with extensively -- feeling like I was the "exception to the rule" (it's a dangerous form of pride, I've realized), like what I've done, what I've struggled with, etc., was too much for Him to *really* love me and forgive me. only this past few months have I really begun to grasp the whole picture of the cross and of grace (I was still saved, this is a different thing), and it really began (FINALLYFINALLY) to permeate my mind. realizing that no matter who you are or what you've done, God's love and forgiveness is never out of reach, is SUCH an empowering and freeing thing.

    (p.s. -- gotta love Paul. his personality and speaking and writing is da bomb.com. ;) )

    ReplyDelete