Monday, January 16, 2012

Reflection

   My family and I recently took a camping trip to Beaver’s Bend, out in Oklahoma.  I discovered something there.  I really enjoy the Killdares.  Okay, so I already knew that one.  I just re-discovered it to a greater extent.  What I really discovered is that I enjoy walking alone, with my music and my thoughts as my only companions.  
   I learned this one day when I was greatly angerfied there.  It was one of those moods where I was mad at the world in general, for various reasons, so I took my Zune, my new and fully awesome Skullcandy headphones, and just started walking.  Now walking is usually something I avoid, for other various reasons, so you can imagine my surprise when I found it most relaxing and enjoyable.  Out there, all by my lonesome, I was able to let it all go.  There was no reason to hang on to the anger, no one to be angry with.  And when you really take a good look at the things you’re angry with, you generally find that they are insubstantial.  That what I was able to do. 
   Once I got past the anger, I simply reflected.  On anything that came to mind.  People, places, things.  I let my imagination run, following the random strands of thought wherever they led.  It was cool. 
I especially enjoyed analyzing people.  Their characters, their traits and quirks, trying to figure what makes them tick basically.  It was most interesting.  Some people were easy to read, others were more difficult.  I reached some interesting conclusions, but satisfactory ones.
   When I had finished with other people, I tried myself, but I don’t think it worked out to good.  Likely because I didn’t try hard enough.  However it’s something I need to do.  The better one knows oneself, the better one is as a whole.  Therefore I hope to continue my lonely sessions now that I’m back home. 
   It’s at this moment that I wish we lived further out in the country.  I don’t think walking through the neighborhood will produce the same effect that walking beneath the trees did, with nature all around.  It was so cool, at one point as I was walking the wind rustled the treetops and the leaves came fluttering down, spinning and twisting in showers.  I’ve seen it before, but never appreciated it.  That’s not something I can find walking the streets.  But that’s just a slight defect.  I don’t think it will change the overall effect.  Hopefully it won’t.
   Oh dear, I’m afraid I have not supplied you with much humor this time around.  Ah well, this was one of the rare posts in which I reflect on a certain topic.  Something I needed written out.  It helps to write things out.  Writing is good.  Hm, looks like it’s going to be a short one, too.  I guess my reflection wasn’t deep enough.  My apologies if I failed to provide the entertainment I’m sure you look forward to so much when you read here.  It’ll be back next week.  This is just a phase.  Pray I don’t have another soon.
In the meantime, you might consider taking a walk by yourself.  I would suggest bringing along music, but if you do, don’t play it all the time.  Turn it off sometimes to be alone with your thoughts.  Go ahead, give it a whirl.

3 comments:

  1. I nearly fell out of my seat when I read this. "Michael didn't have anything funny to say?". But, hey, I don't mind the more serious post. :P

    Seriously, though, I know how you feel. Sometimes just getting away from the world and the distractions can help a person. My deep reflection tends to be stronger when I am all by myself, in a quiet place. Which tends to usually be at night trying to fall asleep, in the shower, or outside near trees and wind and all that good nature stuff. ;)

    Wow. This is getting long. Haha. I'm going to stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (P.S. - Trying to imagine an angry Michael Lostritto is very hard and taxing on my brain. Lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post, it was sort of like a soft breeze in comparison to your other posts.

    ReplyDelete