Monday, October 8, 2012

Poncho and Dave

   Note from Owen Tucker:  Pft, John Smith.  Pft, super name.  Really?  I mean come on, all the guy did after bragging on his name was talk about rocks.  How boring is that? 
   Anyway, let’s get down to business.

   “Whoa whoa whoa,” I said. “You know this guy, Dave?”
   The gold ring (referred to as Poncho) flashed. Dave?  Really?  That’s what you’re calling yourself these days?
   You’re one to talk, Poncho, Dave retorted.
   Poncho’s are cool.
   Sure they are.  Just keep telling yourself that.
   “Hey, break it up,” I interjected. “How do you two know each other?”
   He was created to combat me, Dave said.
   No, actually, he was created to combat me, Poncho clarified.
   Stop trying to deceive yourself.  It is a well known fact that the League created me first, which made your pathetic creators panic and bring you into existence.
   Ha!  That’s a lie you tell yourself so you can keep what little self-respect you have.
  
“Hold it!  What League are we talking about here?”
   The League of Ninjas, of course.  Do you know of any other?
  
“What the heck is the League of Ninjas?”
   It’s a league.  Of ninjas.  I find the name very self-explanatory.
  
“And this league created Dave?”
   Yes, of course.  How do you not know this?   I shrugged. “I dunno.  I just found Dave in a rock and tugged him out.  Didn’t see any ‘Property of the League of Ninja” tags anywhere.”
   The fact that he chanted “use me for evil” over and over didn’t tell you something was strange about him?
 
  “How’d you know he did that?”
   He always does that.  A glitch in his creation.  At least, for his sake, I hope it’s a glitch.   Shut up, Poncho, you always did talk too much.
 
  What’s the matter, Davey?  Am I revealing all your secrets?
 
  Owen, I think we should leave now.  Before there is any bloodshed.
 
  “No way!  I like this Poncho dude.” I looked to the armored guy, who was standing there with a goofy grin on his face. “Where’d you find your ring?”
   He cleared his throat. “Ahrumph.  I twas wandering upon journeys which I sometimes wander upon when lo and behold!  I wandered upon Poncho here, lying lonely in a cavern, lost.  I took him and put him upon my finger, and having defeated the slimy beast that guarded the cavern, I emerged out into the daylight, triumphant and with the prize.”  He held up his hand with the ring. “Most beautiful, is it not?  And enormously powerful too.”
   My foot, Dave said.
   You’re just jealous, Poncho replied.
   You always did have a backward view of everything.
  
“Just shut it, you two,” I said. “We all know you hate each other’s guts, so if you’ve got to keep on hating, keep it to ringish glares, or whatever you rings do.”
   If you insist.
  
“Thank you.  Now, Dan, what exactly are you doing here?”
   Dan shrugged. “I am, at this moment, simply wandering the world, seeking the adventures fit to one of my skills, daring, and chivalry.”
   “Sounds cool,” I said, somewhat thoughtfully. “You know, we get pretty good amount of adventures in this here group.  What do you think about joining our ranks?”
   Oh no, that is a very bad idea.   Why’s that, Davey?  Afraid I’ll show everyone how lame you really are?   On second thought, bring them along.  We’ll settle this.
  
I’ll make sure you get a lovely gravestone, old boy.
 
  I cleared my throat. “So, Dan, now that those two have finished arguing over things which they have no control, will you join our merry band?”
   Dan glanced around at our group and a grin spread over his face. “Of course, good sir!  Let the adventures of this daring assembly begin in earnest!”

   To be continued…

1 comment: