Thursday, September 13, 2012

Names

   Note from Owen Tucker:  I would really hope that, by now, you’d know the drill.  But if, in fact, you don’t, perhaps because you are new here (if you are, a most hearty welcome), then let me inform you that this is a long running story, so if you do not wish to be lost, you might want to go back and read from the beginning.  Otherwise you’ll probably be just like “talking bear?  Wwwwhhhhaaaaa?” and it won’t be fun.  Thank you.

   After wandering around for about five minutes, I decided I needed some help.
   “Dave,” I said. “I think it’s time for you to do your magical thingy that warps us back to Howard, or however you were planning on doing it.”
   Aye aye, Captain.
   For a few seconds, nothing happened.  The birds tweeted, the stream gurgled, the bear munched a few leafs, and the kids kept opening their mouths to say something and then closing them again. 
   Then came the weirdest sensation I’ve ever felt.  We were all still standing, not moving an inch, but the trees around us started moving.  Slowly at first, like a car in first gear, but then faster and faster.  Soon the trees and everything else was whizzing past us, and I know my legs weren’t moving.  It all came to an abrupt halt.  Right in front of the door back to Howard. 
   It was still standing there, wide open. 
   “Nice job, Dave.  Now, everyone, get in there, nice and quiet like.”  As the kids were walking past me, I grabbed them. “Hold up there, you two.”
   They looked up at me, trying to put on the most innocent faces they could manage.
   “Nu uh, that ain’t gonna work on me.” I shook my head vigorously. “You two don’t get to go in there until you spill the beans.”
   “Okay!” the boy yelped, speaking for the first time without his sister being in tune. “Elizabeth did it!”
   “Did not!” the girl squealed, her first time without her brother. “It was Fredrick!”
   I stroked my chin for a moment, looking as menacing as I could manage. 
   Then I smiled. “I have no idea what this thing is that you two are talking about, but you answered my question anyway, so you can go in.”
   They looked at me, then at each other, shrugged, and went through the door.
   I turned to the bear.  “You, sir, are welcome to join us, on one condition.”
   “And what might that be?” the bear asked.
   “That you tell me your name.  Can’t stand things without names, as you can see.” I gestured to the place where the kids had been.
   “Ah,” he chuckled.  “No need for mystery here.  My name is Benedict.”
   I stared at him. “You’re kidding right?”
   He looked wounded. “No, of course not.  Benedict is a perfectly good name.”
   I snorted. “Yeah, sure.  Except it’s the name of the biggest traitor in American history.  So big, in fact, that Benedict is now equivalent to traitor.”
   The bear sniffed. “Well it’s not my fault that your society destroyed a wonderful name like Benedict.”
   I nodded. “You’re absolutely right.  But I just can’t call you Benedict.  How about Ben for short?”
   Ben sighed. “If you must.”
   “Kewl beans.”  I raised an eyebrow. “So does that mean you’ll be joining our little party?”
   He pulled some leafy greens from a nearby bush and chewed on them thoughtfully for a moment.
   He swallowed. “Yes, I believe I will.”

   To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment